Tuesday, January 05, 2010

To the movies with Maylin

Just came back from a date with Maylin -- a burrito lunch and a movie at the theater...Fantastic Mr. Fox. It was truly fantastic. It's so creative and original, as artsy as you can get and still be mainstream -- can't wait to buy the DVD. Maylin loved it, too. I'm so glad I was able to talk Maylin into watching this instead of Alvin and the Chipmunks, the Squeakquel, with me.

We got our burritos from Gordo Taqueria on College Avenue in Berkeley. Quite a long line, so I thought, this will probably be really good. My first time trying them out. I got a carne asada burrito with guacamole. Nothing too special flavor-wise, wish they could have browned the meat for more flavor. But it did taste very fresh. My favorite place for Mexican food will probably still be Picante on 6th Street.

We watched the movie at the Elmwood on College. The box office and doors were closed 15 minutes before the chipmunks movie showtime. That didn't seem right. $8 per ticket was a lot of money to hand over for a matinee, but the theater was clean and comfy. We almost had a whole room to ourselves, but a couple of old ladies chose to sit right in front of us, five minutes after the movie started, obstructing Maylin's viewing. I mean, they had a whole theater of seats to choose from! We moved, and then they moved in front of us again (to allow for the late-arriving friends to sit down)! Wow, I don't think they were trying to be rude -- just clueless. I wasn't angry, just a little shocked. But should I be shocked? When we lived in Paris, little old ladies were often cutting in front of me or others in line. They acted like it was their God-given right. But what about women with unhappy toddlers in tow? Pregnant women? I never cut in line, but hoped someone would be understanding (if I was holding a toddler in my arms, or had a big belly). The Parisians were usually very kind and let me go ahead of them or give up their seat on the bus when I was in obvious need.

I miss Paris.

No comments: