Sunday, January 10, 2010

I love my mornings


Here's one of my favorite photos. I took this in Ohio in October -- can you guess what this is?

***

I'm an early bird. I don't love being awakened before 6 a.m. because I know I won't be able to get back to sleep, but I do like being able to get a lot done. Especially in the kitchen. I love my kitchen! Last year, John redesigned the kitchen, we had his best friend do the work for us, and now, I am extremely productive! It's only 8 o'clock, and I've already started some bread dough for baguettes later today, ribs, and a butternut squash soup. And I still have time now to catch up on e-mails and head out to my hip hop class in a couple hours. You might be wondering, but what about the kids? Oh, they're still sleeping, and probably will still be sleeping when I leave the house. They are on an incredibly late schedule and it's going to be hard for me to break them of it since we're on a homeschooling nonschedule. No more getting up at 6:30 so I can get up Maylin at 6:50 so she won't miss her 7:35 bus. Eek, was that a pain. So much struggle. It definitely puts a strain on your relationship with your child when you have to push, push, push your child to get ready for school. I'm the type of person who can just leap out of bed and start her day. Maylin's more like her dad -- takes a bit of time to get out of bed, get out of that groggy state and be a fully-functioning human being.

My latest, greatest achievement that I wanted to share with you is that I transcribed a song (with lots of help from my friends) and put it into Finale Notepad, a music notation software program (download for only $10!), which resulted in some beautiful, professional-looking sheet music! It's been about 10 years since I've done something like this. It was a very satisfying project and I gained so many skills in the process -- the program is pretty much intuitive, but there were some little things that I had to figure out on my own. The a cappella group I sing in will be performing the piece, All I Have to Do is Dream (performed by the Everly Brothers and the Nylons), for the first time next month. I'm so excited! My upcoming music projects include writing an original song for an international songwriting contest (let's see if I can make the deadline of Jan. 31! ugh, it's gonna be tough) and arranging a beautiful Canadian folksong named, She's Like a Swallow. I love making stuff!!

No comments: