Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Fresh baguettes out of my oven in an hour!

I use the master recipe from the book, Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day. It's not a lot of work, but does take some planning. You can get all the info you need for free from this link: http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Food/Artisan-Bread-In-Five-Minutes-A-Day.aspx?page=3

I made a batch of dough one night, and had enough to make two small baguettes yesterday, and two small ones today! Crispy crust, moist and chewy interior -- it's not bad! The flavor is not as great as my favorites from Paris since I'm not using an ancient French starter but granular instant yeast which I store in the freezer. But close enough! This is a knead-free method, so there's not too much work involved and you still get to work a little with the dough with your hands. Feels great! My favorite part right now is hearing the little crackling sound inside the baguette as it cools on my rack coming right out of the oven. In second place is the feel of the knife cutting through the crispy crust and then sinking into the soft interior. I love eating it, too, esp. with garlic-infused olive oil, balsamic vinegar, fleur du sel (special sea salt), and freshly ground pepper. Heavenly.

1 comment:

FrenchEclair said...

Sounds scrumptious. Im very jealous you have been to Paris ive started a journal on a dream that one day i will go. I have no idea when the best time of year will be to go there.
Until then all i can do is live how the french do. And eat think & dress the way a french lady would, its having an amazing effect on me...xx