Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Awesome (healthy) muffins!

There's a really great recipe called Ruthie's 8 Grain Muffins, which comes on the back of a Bob's Red Mill package of 8 grain hot cereal. I've adapted the recipe for people who can't access Bob's stuff, and I've made it a little healthier by substituting butter for margarine and white whole wheat flour (no, it's not bleached -- just a softer winter wheat variety) for the white flour. You can also use whole wheat pastry flour, but it'll be pretty crumbly. If you can only access regular whole wheat flour, try it and let me know how it goes. Actually, maybe I'll try it and I'll let you know. The whole wheat flours do make the light, tender muffins a little sturdier. I was tired of cleaning up piles of crumbs after my toddler.

I think these are the perfect healthy muffins. Let me know what you think.

Awesome (healthy) muffins

1. Turn your oven on to 400 degrees.
2. Mix the following ingredients and let sit for 10 minutes (you can do the other steps in the meanwhile):
1 1/4 cup buttermilk (plain or vanilla yogurt works, too, but I think the buttermilk is better)
1/4 cup cornmeal (at any supermarket)
1/4 cup almond meal (grind your own or buy at Trader Joe's)
1/4 cup flaxseed meal (I think you can find this at TJ's)
1/4 cup oat bran (can find at TJ's)
3. In a larger bowl, melt 1/3 cup of butter, using electric mixer, mix in 1/2 cup of Turbinado or regular granulated sugar, add 1 egg, and mix again.
4. Sift the following ingredients in a medium bowl:
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup of white whole wheat flour
5. Add ingredients from step 4 to step 3. Mix.
6. Add ingredients from step 2 to step 5. Mix.
7. Spoon batter into 12 paper muffin cups that have been placed in a muffin tin.
8. Pop into oven for 15 minutes.
9. Gobble them up!

[Note: I accidentally left out the baking powder, baking soda, and the salt one time (I know, I think I was over-multi-tasking and sleep-deprived) but the kids still loved it -- and a playdate friend as well!]

No comments: