Sunday, March 01, 2009

Back into the ballet slippers

Maylin's into her second session of ballet at her new dance school. She had a great time the last session, but now, she's beginning to say she doesn't want to do it anymore (she said the same for swimming and now we're taking a break until summer). She says her legs hurt during class, and I tried telling her that that means her legs are getting stronger, that it's a part of getting better at ballet. I told her that I took ballet as a little girl as well and she seemed very interested. I thought maybe I could revive her enthusiasm for this art form if I had her watch me take a ballet class. Maylin thought it was a great idea.

So two days after her complaint, she accompanied me to my class. We walked hand in hand and talked and laughed together as we approached the school. I got into my leotard, tights, skirt, and tight ballet slippers (my wide feet were not made for the slippers I had on) and entered the very full class. Maylin watched from a window in the hallway. I knew I'd probably do okay with the barre work, as long as I had someone good to follow. So, I was pretty decent on right side because the woman to the right was a regular, but I was a little embarrassing on the other side because the woman to the left was new like me (but had LOTS more ballet experience). In fact, everyone had LOTS more ballet experience. It really showed when we went to the center of the floor to do some short routines. I never mastered the pirouette before and it showed. Fortunately, I wasn't the only one having trouble with pirouettes, but I was the only one who was seeing some of these steps (rather standard, I believe) for the first time. I was feeling way out of my league.

The teacher was very kind and offered to get me caught up if I came every week, but I don't see myself doing that. Maybe if I didn't have a family that I want to spend time with...to make waffles, pancakes, muffins, or crepes for.

So let's see if Maylin complains again this week about ballet or finds that she's been inspired to continue. Let's hope it's the latter.

No comments: