Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Quick whole wheat bread (no yeast, no kneading)

The price of my favorite daily loaf is forcing me to bake my own. And I've been doing it for three days straight without kneading and without waiting for dough to rise. My entire family loves it, too. Impossible, you say? This is a recipe adapted from Mark Bittman's recipe for quick whole wheat and molasses bread. I found his quick bread delicious, but a little strong flavor-wise (too much molasses). I substituted half of the molasses with honey and it improved quite a bit. If you don't like molasses at all, substitute the entire amount of molasses with honey. Works just fine. If you leave out the cornmeal, it should be just fine, too. This bread is a little on the sweet side. If you want, you can probably cut the honey in half. Here's my version:

Quick, Easy, and Delicious Whole Wheat Bread

Ingredients

DRY:
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda

WET:
1/2 cup honey
1 2/3 cups buttermilk or plain yogurt

Directions

1. Heat oven to 325 degrees. Grease an 8x4 inch nonstick loaf pan with oil or butter.
2. Mix together the dry ingredients. Stir the honey into the buttermilk or yogurt in a separate bowl. Combine wet with dry ingredients. Pour into pan. Bake for 45 min. to an hour, or until a chopstick inserted into center comes out clean (when you can smell your bread, it's time to test it). Tastes wonderful with cream cheese.

No comments: