Thursday, February 12, 2009

Best Belgian waffle recipe

Months ago, I kidnapped my mom's seriously underused Waring Pro Belgian waffle maker and had been on the quest for the perfect waffle -- moist interior, crisp exterior, and a little healthy, too. Recipes from my cookbooks took a lot of work and though sometimes crisp, were quite dry inside if not eaten immediately. I have adapted this recipe from one I found on the internet here. (These waffles make a great snack later in the day, especially when toting children around to museums and zoos.

Makes 4-5 large Belgian waffles (I often double this recipe for leftovers)

Ingredients

DRY
1 cup white, unbleached flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup flaxseed meal (if not available, then add 1/4 cup canola oil to wet ingredients)
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder

WET
2 eggs slightly beaten
1 cup milk (reduced or whole)
3/4 cup plain yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 stick of butter, melted

Sift together dry ingredients in large bowl with whisk. In another bowl, whisk together wet. Gently mix wet and dry until dry is just incorporated. Use 3/4 cup of batter per waffle in machine. I use the 5 or 5 1/2 setting. Using chopsticks is a great way to safely remove your waffle from the machine without scratching it. Keep warm in a 200 degree oven if not serving immediately. I often put them on a cooling rack so they don't get soggy on a plate. They taste wonderful later in the day after a toasting in the toaster oven. I often serve with maple syrup or blueberry preserves (Trader Joe's Fresh Blueberry Preserves are my favorite now).

No comments: