Friday, September 19, 2008

Maylin glowing

Maylin started ballet at a new school this year (she was getting bored at the former place) and she enjoys it so much. It's a relatively small class, fewer than 10 girls, but they're all 5-6 year-olds, have their hair up, wear black leotards, and smile and laugh as they move across the floor. Their teacher is very effective in getting them to move beautifully with their arms (the different positions), and Maylin moves her whole body with strength and purpose. Of course, I can't help but think she's the prettiest girl there with her awesomely long legs which I never had as a little girl.
What struck me the most about her was her smile, her radiance. This was childhood joy at its best. An incredible glow and sparkle about her that made me glow inside.

She actually didn't choose to do ballet. She actually wanted to quit completely after last year, but I somehow convinced her (didn't force her) to try it again with a different teacher. Maylin can be very stubborn at times so I was relieved when she consented. Why do I want her to do ballet? I took ballet as a child and I think it's great for posture, teaches you how to move gracefully, is a great foundation for other types of dance and for sports activities in general (whatever she chooses in the future), and gives her that regular physical activity that she might not always be getting in school.

No comments: