Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Gym freak again?

I joined the gym finally! The last week and a half I have been religiously walking from our North Berkeley hills home through the Cal campus to Downtown Berkeley with the kids in tow in an effort to get back into shape. Coming back up the hill is good cardio, but I didn't feel like it was enough for me to make a significant improvement in my fitness, so I decided to join a gym. Fortunately, it has great classes (I haven't tried them all, but so far, I prefer my ol' neighborhood gym in France) and I might be able to attend up to five a week if I have enough energy and John's able to watch the kids on the weekends (a little more complicated during the college football season). More realistically, I'll probably be able to take 2-3 classes a week, but that's fine with me. Plus, Maylin can take swim lessons there, and they have baby classes, too!

I tried a hip hop class which I thought was great but may be beyond my skill level (I'm a beginner who accidentally attended more of an intermediate class). It was full of well-seasoned regulars who knew the choreography cold and hardly ever made mistakes. Yikes. I'm going to try the beginning class in a couple of days to see if I can at least start building a repertoire of hip hop moves (and move in a more hip hoppy way, instead of bouncing around like a cheerleader or Richard Simmons).

Maylin starts school tomorrow as a first grader and we're going to walk there (Maylin's choice over the bus)! I'm giving us 40 minutes though I think it would take me 20 minutes. Stefan will ride along in the jogging stroller. Wish us luck!

No comments: