Friday, May 16, 2008

Sleep, baby, sleep!

Stefan's sleeping patterns have been uncharacteristically inconsistent for the last few days. I have trouble getting him down for naps, and each night is completely different. He might sleep nine hours straight, or wake up three times in the middle of the night. The latter has obvious effects on my mood, especially in the evenings. I typically nurse Stefan to sleep between 7 and 8 pm. I often fall asleep during this process and nine times out of ten get awakened by Maylin, who I made promise never to wake me up unless there's an emergency. In this scenario, I turn into this big and hairy green monster with fangs dripping with saliva. I get pretty nasty -- yelling at Maylin or John for the most trivial things -- resulting in Maylin crying (and my comforting her afterwards and apologizing) or John...hmmm, I don't know what he does. Sometimes he'll say something that will just tick me off further, or he'll just leave me alone which is always the wisest thing to do in these cases. Do other mothers behave this way? I don't remember my mom ever yelling at me.

No comments: