Saturday, May 10, 2008

Shame on me

Sorry to have ignored you all for so long. These days, blogging isn't too much of a priority for me, but now I realize that if I don't do this, Maylin and Stefan won't be able to read about what they were like during this period. Because I will surely forget all the fine details.

- Maylin had her last ballet and tap classes for the school year a couple weeks ago. She was getting bored and I was not terribly impressed with the teacher, though she came highly recommended on the Berkeley Parents Network (online recommendations and advice). Her second session seemed like a repeat of the first session, with no visible progression in the teaching. Maylin seemed to be more coordinated and confident in the second session, but she was doing the same steps, and the teacher was not teaching them the proper terms -- they were a bit dumbed down. Fine for 3 year-olds, but 5-7 year-olds can definitely pick up a few French words (and this was the age group she was teaching to). Anyways, Maylin is really looking forward to starting "more serious" ballet classes in the fall. I even got her to get her hair cut (I've been working on that for months) by saying that if we cut it now, it would be the perfect length for ballet in the fall. She seemed to think that was a very acceptable reason. Phew.
- Stefan had his 8-month doctor's appointment yesterday and he is now 19 pounds (40th percentile) and 29 inches tall (80th percentile). He's been crawling for almost a month, so I found out that he was advanced for his age. He's been pulling himself up and can "walk" with his hands on his toddler piano (on legs) as I drag it forward. He can't help but start walking when I do this. It was so exciting to see his move one foot forward, then the other for the first time. I told the doctor he still wasn't eating solids (makes "yuck" faces and gags when I try to feed him baby food) and she told me to have him try finger foods. I hadn't thought he was ready for it, but lo an behold, that day he fed himself his first Cheerio! He's still not completely gung-ho on solids, but he's getting there. He had a few more Cheerios today, and a few small nibbles of silken tofu. Awesome.
- Maylin's constantly writing and illustrating her own little books. I'm just starting to realize that I was doing the same thing at her age. But she's also painted some beautiful canvases and done some nice clay work. We've got some nice air-hardening clay at home, but she also just started a pottery class last week. She got a lot done -- a cute tile of Stefan (drawing and name) and two pinch pots. I made a little "cookie" of a little girl that the teacher really liked and thought was worth keeping (to turn into a Christmas ornament).
- I saw a funny thing the other morning: a small bird on the curb repeatedly jumping head first into the hubcap of our neighbor's minivan. I only noticed this because I kept hearing this odd pecking sound -- a little beak!
- I really haven't been doing much photography, but made a little painting for my "Little Turnip" shop (which will be up and running on etsy.com once I compile a reasonnable amount of work). It's in the same vein as the two painting that were sold at Maylin's school silent auction last month. 12x12 gallery-wrapped canvas, cute cartoony animal in acrylic, animal name in script and in French on the bottom. Wondering if I should first try to sell them locally to boutiques to save myself the hassle of shipping these things. I will try to post photos this week.
- Stefan has been waking up at around 3 or 4 am, and he usually goes back to sleep quite easily after nursing, but I am not always able to fall back asleep -- major sleep deprivation, my other excuse for not blogging regularly.
- Working hard to get a date arranged with John -- almost happened last week until Maylin invited herself along. I couldn't say "no" when she cried so hard and begged to come with us to the restaurant. She's pretty persuasive.

No comments: