Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Situation swap

I don't know what to call it exactly. But just last night, Maylin decided to pretend home was school. So, now I'm her teacher, Ms. W. I'm quite excited by it all because this means she will be more willing for me to teach her. She's usually very stubborn and resistant to my teaching her (correcting her), but last night, while she "read" to me, "This is the House that Jack Built," she didn't get upset when I tried to help. Very good-natured about it all. So...last night, I decided I was going to take advantage of this and drew up a daily schedule, hopefully similar to what she has at school. With specified outdoor time (nasty weather today, though), music time, art time, snack time, homework time, meal time, etc. The most important is choice time which I'm going to work on today. Choice time at her real school starts off with a wall-hanging with pockets that can carry cards representing each of her five choices (may vary from day to day, e.g. Playdoh, drawing, toys, etc.) When she selects an activity, she puts her name card in the pocket next to the activity. She can choose 1-5 activities within the hour time-frame.

I really should incorporate a "science time" also -- it doesn't come naturally to me like everything else, but this will be a good stretch for me. Hard to believe I was actually a pre-med in college for a year. But our newly-discovered millipede should be a good source for a lesson. These things are pretty big -- about the thickness of a pencil and over 2 inches long! I found it under a big pile of warm, moist clothes and towels in the laundry room. Must have been pretty cozy under there. The internet is an excellent place to look for educational resources.

No comments: