Friday, May 04, 2007

She's declared her career

John has occasionally asked Maylin some difficult questions. Well, I always think they're too difficult for preschoolers to answer because they usually require a lot of thought. During the long car ride to Nice to take the ferry to Corsica he asked her, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" When Maylin didn't know what to do with that question, I helped a little by giving some examples. When she heard me mention "artist" and what they do, she jumped at it. She said she wanted to be an artist because painting is her most favorite thing to do. Immediately, I felt pride and envy. The pride is understandable. The envy stems from the worry that had plagued me for the last ten years or so. What do I want to do with my life? And here's a four-and-a-half year-old kid who's got it all worked out.

I had never put down "full-time mother" on my list of careers, but if you look at my skills, interests, and passions, motherhood certainly fits the bill. If I do pursue other things down the line, both professional and non-professional, that will just be icing on the cake.

1 comment:

Anil P said...

It's never an easy dilemma to solve.