Friday, May 04, 2007

Natural runner

More on Maylin. She was racing with her closest friends after school in the park the other day and it was such a beautiful thing to see. I've seen her run before and I always marvel at her grace and speed. Not a wasted movement. Everything purposeful, efficient. Her face is relaxed but intent. If she wins, she's proud. If she loses, she's fine with it (phew!).

I see her in myself. I had a passion for running, but around age ten, I developed asthma. I should've started using an inhaler regularly when exerting myself so I could participate in sports but I didn't. I was a great sprinter and was even asked to be on the track team in my second high school, but I obediently listened to my parents and focused on my studying and music instead. I don't regret my decision, but I think I did miss out on a lot of fun and I would have learned how to deal with competition better -- something I've long feared. If Maylin ever says she wants to run competitively, I'll support her.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, seriously we have good running genes. I think we got it from Mom. I think instead of letting her solely decide, just let her try everything instead.

-lil bro

Kenting wasn't that great, but the bullet train was fun. They also have this awesome aquarium, bigger and better than Monterey's and less crowded. Post pictures later.