Friday, May 04, 2007

"I want to put my sandals on for pretty"

Lately, Maylin's been into looking "pretty." She'll change into a dress and wear barrettes and ponytail on weekends and when she gets home from school, but she'll never do it for school. I don't really understand it. Maybe she doesn't want to draw attention from her schoolmates, even though most of the girls there wear skirts and dresses themselves. I think it was about six months ago when I was trying to get her to wear something really nice to school. She started crying because the item was "too pretty." I don't know where she gets this from. I rarely use the word "pretty" but it seems the concept has made a very strong impression on her.

The last two weeks have been nice and warm in Paris so I've allowed Maylin to wear shorts and a t-shirt to school. In the evenings, she's excited about picking out her outfit, and in the morning, she wakes up happy and energetic. I attribute her fervor to the clothes because she'll put them on herself (something she's never done entirely by herself) and come into our bedroom before it's even time for me to get her out of bed.

Sandal shopping was required when Maylin only wanted to wear her strawberry rainboots (even on hot, sunny days) or her classic, black leather Mary Jane's, which were getting rather tight. I let her pick them out -- she made a very tasteful choice and even helped me shop for my own pair. She usually makes a very nice shopping companion.

She's been proudly wearing her sandals for the last couple days (even to school) and wanted them back on yesterday evening, prompting her to say, "I want to put my sandals on for pretty." She seems to make the same grammar mistakes over and over again, but I don't ever tell her she's making a mistake and overtly correct her. I just gently repeat what she's trying to say in the the right format. So I said, "You want to put on your sandals to be pretty?" For most of my life, I didn't take criticism and corrections well, and I think Maylin may be the same way. So to preserve her self-esteem, I teach in this indirect manner and have told John to do the same. Okay, at some point, she's going to have to get used to people being direct with her, but I think this method works well for now.

No comments: