Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Stuck on writing

Remember, I was inspired by Sue Monk Kidd's novel, The Secret Life of Bees, to start creative writing again? Well, I re-read her first chapter, which was originally an award-winning short story, to find out exactly why it was so great. So with a studious eye, I studied. Kidd is an expert at showing, not telling. You learn about the persons and places through action, not overt description. I got a bit downhearted because I realized how much more difficult it is this way. And then I thought, Is this the way I write anyway? Should I try to write like someone else? Should I study more about this first? Or should I just stick with my ignorance and see where it takes me?

I don't feel I can focus on writing now anyways. I want to sew a little plushie (stuffed toy), pick up the violin again, and maybe resume my voice lessons (let's see if my teacher will take me back after a year). Much of my internet time is spent googling Bay Area opera singers. Am I still dreaming about becoming an opera singer? Or am I happy to live vicariously through their resumes?

No comments: