Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Asian-style salad dressing

I've tried to recreate the dressing that you'll find atop the little salads at some Japanese restaurants. A little sweet, a little tangy, and full of sesame flavor.

Makes 1 cup of salad dressing

1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup lemon juice (about 1 1/2 lemons), or you may try rice vinegar though I like the freshness of the lemons
3 1/2 tsp sesame oil
4 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
2 T minced shallots (or red onions)

Place in bowl and whisk together. Keep chilled in the refrigerator. Flavors meld together after sitting in the fridge for 1-3 hours. If you can keep it overnight, it tastes even better the next day and thickens (starts out rather watery) to just the right consistency. Mix again before serving.

I think it best to keep the salad very simple. Just iceberg lettuce and grated carrot is good. The carrot soaks up the dressing well -- Maylin loved the carrot-only version. I think kids like it because it's sweet.

3 comments:

ColourMeCrazy said...

Great recipe - I'll have to try it - I love those little salads!

Caroline Jou Armitage said...

Yeah, I love it. I had some salad today and the dressing tastes even better (I made it two days ago).

Anonymous said...

Yeah the japanese salad dressing is great.