Sunday, January 07, 2007

You are what you eat

I don't know why but I've been eating pig like a pig as of late. When we were in a little town just south of Strasbourg before New Year's, we went to a restaurant where I was eager to try the "cochon," not "porc," which was advertised as having been fed on just milk and bread. I know most pigs don't get it that good so this had to have been a happy pig. And happy animals always make better meat, right? When Monsieur Cochon arrived at my table, I was shocked to see that this was the biggest chop I had ever seen! It was nearly the size of a T-bone steak. Really thick, really juicy, and still had its fantastic skin attached (I'm a big fan of skin). I know that grosses some people out, but this is high-quality fat here! I'm not going to let it go to waste!

The chop was expertly grilled. I had to salt it a little, but some chefs in France these days like to leave the salting part to the customer. Okay by me. The flavor of this pork was unlike any other chop I've had. Full, mellow -- the best. It's all in the fat, baby.

The next day, in Strasbourg, we feasted on choucroute by the cathedral. John ordered the "choucroute formidable" and I ordered the slighter smaller version. I had five sorts of hams and sausages along with a huge mound of perfect sauerkraut (slow-cooked in Riesling wine!). John had eight kinds, and I had to have some of his ham hock, which included its fat and skin. Yum.

In Heidelberg, we had more sausages for lunch, and dinner for me was roast pork and dumplings (nothing tops German roast pork). I don't know why I didn't try John's wild boar roast. That's pig, too.

Last night, I had the pork chop at the Japanese place (see previous posting).

So, what's all this leading to? Well, remember all that fat and skin I ingested? It has nicely placed itself around my lovely waist! I would make a nice little chop. It's frightening that I'm looking so pudgy even though I'm still at my goal weight. So...it's off to the gym tomorrow! I'm finally getting back into the routine after being out of it for 3-4 crazy holiday weeks? Eek.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you are anticipating NOT eating pork during the Year of the Boar? ;) No dumplings, no BBQ Pork buns... suckling pig, no "Lion Head", etc...

-may

Anonymous said...

Miss mom's pigfeet much?

Caroline Jou Armitage said...

- I do miss Mom's pigfeet. Time to try cooking it myself.
- I guess that means I'm still going to eat pig in the Year of the Pig. Is there a rule against that? :)

Anonymous said...

I don't think there is a rule. Considering it's a staple meat around here.

Anonymous said...

And the Twice-cooked Pork, And what is those two dishes called in English? The one with the preserved veggie (mei tsai). Does your mom make the 5-spiced Pig Ears, Pig stomach, too? Ok... we should stop. I think we are grossing out the non-Chinese readers...

Caroline Jou Armitage said...

Nope, my mom never made pig ears or pig stomach. That's something you leave to the professionals at the Chinese deli right? Actually, I might have only tried the ears once. You know, maybe my mom did make the stomach, but that was a long time ago.