Saturday, January 13, 2007

In remembrance

Philippe Noiret (1930-2006)

One of my favorite actors, French, who portrayed the memorable characters of Alfredo from "Cinema Paradiso" and Pablo Nerudo from "Il Postino," passed away last November.

Lorraine Hunt Lieberson (1954-2006)

My all-time favorite mezzo-soprano succumbed to cancer at the age of 52 last July. I was fortunate enough to be in a Berkeley Symphony concert with her in 1995. I said "hello" to her in the restroom where she was warming up. Divine voice, emotionally engaging, consummate artist and musician, superb acting skills -- she had it all. Great bio: http://www.bach-cantatas.com/Bio/Hunt-Lorraine.htm

Andrew Martinez (a.k.a. The Naked Guy) (1972-2006)

World-renowned as the U.C. Berkeley student who bared all on campus while I was studying there, he died at the age of 33 last May. He was supposedly a very warm individual, and a math whiz. I saw him on Sproul Plaza near Telegraph one time wearing just sandals and a backpack, with an incredible Greek god-physique. I was too shy to say a word.

2 comments:

Michael Eisenberg said...

Hi Caroline! Celeste pointed me to your blog. You know, I once played hackysack with Andrew Martinez. He wasn't naked at the time.

Caroline Jou Armitage said...

Oh wow, I could see nudity being a bit of an inconvenience while bouncing around a hackysack.

How are you doing? Shoot me an e-mail through my profile page if you want.