Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Battle of the wills: getting dressed in the morning

Maylin is very particular about her clothes. VERY particular. Yesterday, she was very much opposed to wearing the thicker jacket I was suggesting to her since it was really cold out. Too cold for her favorite coat -- a very thin, bright pink, strawberry-adorned raincoat. She liked this newer jacket before -- in fact, she picked it out herself on the way down to Barcelona last spring. It's purple (her favorite color to wear), but now it seems that its bulkiness is off-putting to her. "It's too puffy," was the explanation she gave me for not wanting to wear it. Of course, she protested in the apartment getting ready for school, and she protested nearly all the way to school. Which means, she wasn't wearing a jacket outside until she gave in.

This is what it looked like. I was walking a few feet ahead of Maylin, refusing to carry her jacket. Maylin was bawling behind me with tears streaming down her face, begging me to take her jacket. I continued persuading her to get it on. She continued refusing, even though she was probably freezing in her light cotton sweater with just a tanktop underneath. So, I had to bring in the ominous possibility of her getting seriously sick, requiring her to make a visit to the hospital. The choice I gave her: hospital or jacket. We were just a block away from school when she finally chose to wear the jacket. Sheesh. Can you just imagine what it's going to be like when she's a teenager? I'm going to have my hands full.

No comments: