Saturday, September 16, 2006

In the groove

Life's a bit easier for the mommies when the little ones are in school. Now that Maylin's been in school for two weeks, I have settled into a nice, well-balanced routine that makes me feel happy and healthy. I blog two or three times a week, exercise six days a week, read one novel or memoir a week, do some French homework or listening almost everyday, and meet with friends regularly. Add to that some photography or acrylic painting, and I'm fully satisfied.

I get a little more exercise with nearly eight year-old Leo these days. Now that he has been diagnosed with arthritis in his right hip and is now on medication, I am determined to give Leo hour-long walks in the Bois de Boulogne at least twice a week to help him lose some weight and, therefore, put less pressure on his hip. It makes him so happy and he's never limping when he's active. There's lots of grass and trees to sniff, and dogs to meet. I learned from another dog owner that France is one of the few countries that doesn't require that their male dogs be fixed if they're not breeding dogs. As a result, male dog owners have to always be on guard as their dogs are usually the more aggressive ones. We, fixed dog owners, on the other hand, can let our dogs off-leash at the park without worry. I still leash Leo up though if I see another dog come by out of courtesy since Leo's size tends to scare many people and many dogs.

Do you see anything missing from my routine? I should be missing musical activity, but I'm not. This should shock some people, but I am completely content! No voice lessons, no opera group, and little music-making at home. I'm guessing that at some point I'll come back to it, but I don't feel the need at the moment. Is this because the artist-side of me is already fulfilled with the photography and painting?

No comments: