Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Goal: ten gym classes this week

Ooh, I'm thoroughly addicted to the gym. Last week I went to five classes. This week, I've already attended five. I'm having lots of fun, but I also want to get my money's worth. I didn't pay for a full year's membership because I wanted to see how motivated and disciplined I was first, so I paid 290 euros for three months, which sounds like a lot, but if I do an average of five classes a week, that's just under five euros per class.

Yesterday, my entire body was sore from my three new classes the day before. My first class was Thighs, Butt, and Abdominals which was really intensive, using these large rubber bands for resistance. Everyone was groaning or just stopping by the end. I kept going but started making funny faces finally. The next class was Chest, Arms, and Back. My triceps got really worked, and I also discovered some muscles in my chest that I never felt before. Ow. And when everyone else was giving up (okay, they were older women) I was still going strong. The last class was stretching which was much less strenuous, but I still came out with aching hamstrings.

I think I'm addicted to the feeling I get when I'm taking these classes. I'm feeling tough because I'm really pushing myself and not letting myself give up. I'm feeling powerful because what I'm doing requires a lot of strength. I feel really empowered and this empowerment is truly flowing into the other aspects of my life, which is great because before I felt like I was often taking a backseat to my life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You must be getting an endorphine rush, aka "runner's high". It's a pretty neat feeling that keeps you going back for more.

Caroline Jou Armitage said...

Yeah, you're right. I'm sure that's coming into play.