Saturday, May 27, 2006

The French embrace the natural look

I just read a New York Times article online about the French's aversion to too much makeup. The article definitely confirms what I see day to day. Of course, there are some women with their entire faces done, usually the older ones, but the majority of women, from young to old, have a very fresh look -- often no lipstick, no foundation, maybe a little subtle touch-up with the eyes. I seem to fit in here, since I've hardly ever worn more than a little lipstick, which disappears by the end of the day. But I wasn't aware of all the skin treatment women go through here to tighten their pores in lieu of wearing foundation.

In America, many women can't leave the house "without their face on." I've often thought of too much makeup as a mask that hides the true beauty of a woman underneath. According to the author of the article, the French think that too much makeup makes a woman look older or like a prostitute.

I don't usually have conversations about makeup with men, but from what I've heard, men often don't like makeup. It's artificial, it comes off on clothes, etc. I can see it being kind of messy, depending on the situation.

I don't dislike makeup or the women who wear it everyday. If it makes you feel good about yourself, that's fine. Just don't let it become a substitute for working on what you are on the inside because that's what truly lasts and is truly yourself.

Article link: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/25/fashion/thursdaystyles/25skin.html?ex=1148875200&en=257c2ad8682cbb19&ei=5087%0A

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dad was reading your blog for a good hour the other day, so I figured I'd drop in and see what was new. You haven't had any comments in a few days. Anyway, I hope all is well, and I can't wait to see you guys when you get here.

lil bro

Caroline Jou Armitage said...

Hey, bro,
It's okay, I don't mind not getting comments. I get some e-mails, and besides, this blog is more of a monologue anyways. Talking to myself...out loud. We're doing good. See ya!