Monday, April 03, 2006

Maylin's amazing memory

She remembers a lot from time spent with Grandma and Grandpa. This last weekend, I took Maylin to Belleville to get some Chinese groceries. This was supposed to be a quick trip. But first, I had to pick up a roast duck to go at a restaurant, and in the window, I showed her some duck wings which she instantly remembered enjoying at Grandma and Grandpa's house in February. She really wanted to eat inside at that point. Why not? I'm pregnant -- I can always go for a snack. Once we were inside, Maylin recognized the restaurant as the one Belleville Chinese restaurant we ate in with Grandma and Grandpa last May -- nearly a year ago!!! How did she ever remember??

One time, she was telling me how much she liked Grandma and Grandpa's house and how she liked feeding the ducks bread (and eating it herself, too) nearby. Another time, I was cutting oranges, and she said I cut it just like Grandpa did.

This is unrelated to her memory, but has to do with oranges. I ran out of juice, which she usually drinks, very much diluted. She didn't want water at that point, so I said I'd squeeze some oranges. She was fascinated and nearly delirious with joy. Now she knows where juice comes from! She found the fresh juice especially tasty.

No comments: