Monday, March 13, 2006

The power of the word

Egads! Someone was sitting on their car horn outside for about a full minute. I will continue writing when I have regained my calm and composure...

I don't know if you read my comments sections after each blog entry, but after "Central Valley culture shock," you may find a shocking amount of emotion there, incited by probably my poor choice of words misinterpreted by a reader. So, I want to apologize to anyone else I may have offended by that entry, which should have been read in a lighthearted manner, knowing that my writing style can and may include sarcasm, exaggeration, gross generalizations, etc., for dramatic effect or just entertainment value. I didn't expect such a dramatic effect, but I've certainly learned my lesson. I will try to be more sensitive when I'm talking about groups of people. Actually, I don't like lumping people into groups, but it's too easy of a trap to fall into. I'll be more careful next time. I'll try to focus more on individuals and make fewer generalizations.

I could have deleted that entry and all its comments, but I thought we might all learn something from it. And maybe it'll show from that point on if I've been making any progress.

Your humble Paris correspondent,
Caroline

No comments: