Thursday, March 09, 2006

I'm building her a castle

I can't think of a better way to spend an afternoon than to use some air-hardening black clay to construct a castle for my little girl. We had an impromptu playdate yesterday with twin Australian boys who owned a cool, plastic toy castle with a catapult to launch huge rocks. Maylin loved it. After we went home, we took a nap, and as I was waking up, I thought, "Hey, I could make her a castle myself! I just bought some clay that would be perfect!" I woke up and asked Maylin if she wanted to help me make a castle. She gave me a groggy nod of the head.

I can often be overwhelmed, and then discouraged, by big projects so I decided to be smart and just aim for making a tower first. If I'm motivated later, I can keep making additions. I'm halfway done with it and I'm so excited! I've made little bricks and have been stacking them to make a cylindrical tower. Maylin was already playing with it! I've left a large opening on one side of the tower so she'll have no problem getting her toys in and out. For awhile I have been telling Maylin that I would build her a dollhouse for Christmas, but maybe she'll prefer a medieval fortress instead.

3 comments:

Camie Vog said...

*lookin' both ways*
Is the coast clear? I laid low during the flame war between your other two readers....

You must post pictures of this Masterpiece.

I wish I had the opportunity to make a cool castle...Instead, I had to make a miniture pool table using a cereal box, marbles, and a pencil. It turned out pretty nice.

Marianna said...

I remember how fun it was to get first dibs on the appliance box when I was apartment managing with my two little daughters. A nice big box can be a fortress, a cottage, a space ship ... all kinds of fun stuff! Ah, those were the days ...

I didn't realize there was a "flame war" until I read the first comment, then went back to find out about it. I'll just comment that I can't now remember the date it all started, but when I read it for the first time today, it seemed so raw and real ... today. It's what is so interesting about words; it doesn't matter when they were written ... when read for the first time, they are immediate.

Caroline, I check in on your blog all the time, just rarely have time to comment. Sending love from a rainy California ...

Caroline Jou Armitage said...

Hello, Camie and Marianna,

Thanks for the comments. It's great to hear from you. The pool table sounds really cute and fun! I don't know if the castle will be anything fancy, but it is very fun to build. Earlier, I sculpted a head -- John calls it an "Easter Island" head (no eyes and kind of longish). That was even more fun. I'm going to sculpt a series of faces. Maybe someday I'll figure out how to do eyes and mouths and ears!

Big boxes are cool! When I get my groceries delivered, they come in these big packing boxes which we use afterwards for building...you guessed it...castles!

The very emotional flame war is over. I will issue a formal apology to anyone (else) that entry offended and will commit myself to fewer generalizations about peoples and sarcastic remarks related to them.