Saturday, December 31, 2005

Quiet family time

John took most of this past week off from work, and it's just been precious. We didn't have the energy to take a road trip as John had originally envisioned, but I think it was even better to just stay at home and be lazy. It's been a long time since we've had some quiet time together as a family. This was just the best -- reading together, watching movies together, playing together, eating meals together at the table.

I have let the house get into a terrible mess, but I've had a blast spending my tidying time playing with Maylin instead. She's "cooked" meals for me, performed medical examinations on me with her new doctor's kit, played "store" while we swapped cashier and customer roles, built a castle with me out of blocks for her little plastic elephants and dinosaurs...it's fun. I love to play. I will never let the kid in me grow old.

John has been making an effort to communicate with me more this vacation, and I've welcomed it with open arms. I am so happy. After Maylin goes to bed, we talk and laugh. Laughter has been one of the reliable glues in our relationship. I almost couldn't believe it last night when he talked to me using, "I feel...," and "my feelings are..." Here is the man I love. He's come back.

Perhaps the sweetest moment this vacation was when Maylin fell asleep in John's arms on the couch. She's usually falling asleep on me and it always makes me feel warm and fuzzy, but it was really special to see her drift off to dreamland in her father's embrace.

No comments: