Sunday, April 03, 2005

Out and About in Paris

While John took Maylin to the public pool yesterday, I went to return some music scores to two libraries near the Eiffel Tower. I probably could have walked all the way (half an hour walk?), but I had to get back by 4 pm so John could go to the gym to workout before our dinner with a friend. I walked quickly to the Charles de Gaulle Etoile metro station, where the Arc de Triomphe is located, and was enjoying seeing so many people out and about. People young and old, walking everywhere to shop, eat lunch, get some exercise. In our neighborhood, there is an abundance of young families with babies and toddlers. So there are poussettes (strollers) everywhere. I even saw a couple on roller blades, pushing their poussette across a busy intersection.

When I don't have Maylin tagging along, I'm able to see Paris with open eyes and notice so many interesting things. I saw a well-dressed woman in her late-sixties, with a horrible wig on her head and big, dark-rimmed glasses, do a bad job of trying to hide an open, upright wine bottle in her handbag. Outside of the library, walking behind me, was a father and his son having a bilingual conversation, with dad speaking only in American English and junior speaking in beautiful, perfect French. There were other interesting things which I totally forgot. I'm going to start keeping a little notebook with me at all times -- you never know when you'll see something bizarre or when you'll think of something brilliant that will sound totally stupid a few hours later.

Oops, I've got to go. On Sundays, it's hard to scrounge up groceries in the afternoon because everything closes up! More later!

No comments: